Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Couponing in the media - Slate.com

There is a really good story on Slate.com today about trying out couponing and just how it works to save a ton of money on your monthly shopping bills.

I think she really hit the nail on the head with this quote: "I felt elated. But it wasn't the frozen peas or reduced sodium vegetable soup I was excited about. Like eBay, couponing made shopping feel like gambling. Unwilling to let my winning streak lapse, I ventured later that week to a Target..." It's a game, a game that just happens to save my family money. That extra money can keep us under budget, cover extra expenses in a month, or help us splurge for candy, treats, or eating out (none of which would fit in a non-couponing budget). Like any good hobby it just takes effort to carve out time to work on it, stay on top of things, and make sure you don't end up like that writer with an expired coupon that would have been as good as cash.

No comments:

Post a Comment